Monday, August 22, 2011

Babies and Psalms

During family worship over the last couple of weeks we have been reading through the Psalms. Here is an interesting contrast that struck me this morning as we read Psalm 58 (after having read Psalm 22 a couple of weeks ago).

"But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly." ~ Psalm 22:9,10

Now contrast that, with this:

"The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies." ~ Psalm 58:3

After pondering this for a little while my mind wandered to the second commandment.

"I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." Ex. 20:5,6

Today I am thankful for the promises of God to both the believing household and for the hope that is extended to the "thousands" who have been, or have yet to be, called out of darkness into light.

--John

No comments: